Thursday, September 24, 2009

Thursday Night Thoughts

I guess no one wants to talk about Bobby Cox retiring. I thought for sure when I logged on that someone would have said something by now.

Bobby Cox has been a staple in my career as a fan, from watching every game during the summer as a child until now. One of my earliest memories of professional sports was getting his autograph at Fulton County Stadium during batting practice. He is also one of the only figures in sports whose autograph I have that I actually want.

His longevity as manager is unbelievable in today's here-today-gone-tomorrow world of sports. I heard some stat on ESPN that he is one of like four or five managers to have coached the same team for 20 consecutive years...in the history of major league baseball. He is the last of a dying breed. Watching him argue with umps was always a nice entertaining break from the athletic contests, and no one got kicked out as regularly as he did; he has the record to prove it. I wish him the best, and hopefully this shift in management could kick start another Braves reign over the NL East.

Another thing he has going for him...he is easily my favorite wife-beater...but I still think he has a heart of gold...or she stopped reporting him.




In other news...any chance we will ever hear this over the loudspeakers at Sanford? It's not as cool as anything Cory Smith has ever done, but then again what is...

1 comment:

Shane said...

Any song featuring Big Smooth has my approval!

I could see 0:45-0:47 on the Jumbo-Tron right before "...its a Saturday Night in Athens Georgia..."

As for Bobby Cox, he will be back in 2010. Brett Favre v. 2.0