Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Wren/Gonzalez Show

Ask me how I feel about the Infante/Dunn for Uggla deal, and I'll probably respond with a, "uhhh...well, umm get me again a year from now" type answer. I don't really know what to say other than...Infante is a really solid player and Dunn is going to be a solid LH reliever for a long time. As far as Uggla goes, he's a good 2B and can hit the damn ball.

I just hope the in-division trade doesn't come back to haunt the Braves. Uggla is a free-agent after 2011, so this may be one of those trades the Braves make -- "let's put it all on the line for this season". It may or may not pay off this time. Maybe Wren & Co. saw something in Infante that screamed, he's not a long-term guy, but I just think the 2010 season was his first chance to play a near full season. Man, it was good. Nothing but the best, Infante. I hope he plays well for a long time, just not when playing the Braves. As for Dunn, well let's just say, it could have been worse (Venters/Kimbrel/Delgado/O'Flaherty/Hyde/Teheran/Beachy/on and on...). Dan Uggla hit 33 HRs and drove in 100+ RBIs this past season. I can't remember the last time a Braves player did either of those.

Ummm, after typing up that last paragraph, I think I may have just convinced myself that this move is a pretty good one for the Braves. Let's see how everything pans out before locking him in to a 5 year deal, please. Maybe the Braves sold "high" on Infante. That's difficult for me to believe, but whatever. Looking ahead, the Braves are loaded with pitching. Prado will be back and healthy. He's always played LF in winter ball, so that's a convenient option. Chipper will be back. Healthy? Well, maybe Prado to 3B. With all that pitching, maybe there's a LF'er out there to be had -- Rasmus, Willingham, Kemp. Can we stop with the Brett Gardner talk? It's not going to happen. The Steinbrenner's are irrational, not completely retarded.

It's going to be an interesting off-season. Get back to work Frank.

No comments: