Thursday, November 15, 2007

Local Signings


Surrounded by family, his coach and teammates, Toby Veal made his college plans official. Wednesday morning, Johnson High School's senior basketball star signed a letter of intent to play at the University of Colorado.
"It feels good," Veal said. "I'm not ready to leave my family and friends, but I am ready to start out on something new, go off to college and see what college life is like, make something of myself."

Veal, a 6-foot-7, 220-pound forward who averaged 21 points and 15 rebounds per game last season, decided Colorado would be the best fit after meeting with coach Jeff Bzdelik, who spent nearly two decades coaching in the NBA before arriving at the Boulder campus in April.

"I wanted to try something new and go away from home," Veal said of his decision to play at the Big 12 school. "Also, Coach Bzdelik is a good coach and should help me get to the NBA because he's coached there 18 years. I think I'll have the same relationship I had with (Johnson) coach (Keith) Arrington. I think it'll fit me good."

Having signed a letter, Veal can now focus on his senior season and helping the Atomsmashers improve on last season's 19-7 record.

"It gets a lot of stress of my chest," he said. "Now, I can focus on my schoolwork, basketball and stuff I've got to do at home. I can do more than think about that college to go to."

Arrington said Veal is Johnson's first basketball player to sign a Division I scholarship since Greg Sanders and Edwin Jarrow signed with Jackson State in 2004. But, for Arrington, where Veal signed is far less important than getting a good education.

"I'll be honest with you, as long as their education is getting paid for and they get to play basketball, I don't really care if it's a small school or a big school," Arrington said. "Ultimately, (education) is what matters."

Veal said he plans to study business management.

Though sad to see her son play so far away, Veal's mother, Theresa, was happy to see him attain his goal of a college scholarship.

"It's wonderful. I feel very, very proud," she said. "He has worked hard on and off the court, and he deserves this."
- RICH MCGOWAN SMN
*** Also Cashmere Wright signed with the Cincinatti Bearcats. The kid from Urban Christian who average almost 40 a game last season. Him signing with the Bearcats is no real surprise.
Even though it's Johnson, it's nice to see some a talented player actually going to school. Yeah, it is Colorado, but you have got to applaud him for making it to the collegiate level. It will be interesting to see what kind of player Cashmere is once he makes it to Cincinatti.***

3 comments:

Charlie Dodson said...

I don't think Sanders is playing anymore. He played against us this Summer and looked like shit. I remember seeing Jarrow guard Noah in the first round of the tourney last year. Hinchey should really break out this year at SMU.

Carrel_Fan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carrel_Fan said...

They need a leader over there at SMU, and everyone knows integrity and leadership follows good looks.