Sunday, April 11, 2010

Stereotypes save you so much time...

Anyone who knows me well, would possibly guess that I am not a big fan of stereotyping people. While stereotyping is a terrible way to place an entire group of people into a usually derogatory generalization, it sure saves a lot of time. Last night, while I was walking around amongst Athens' finest, I came up with a list of my least favorite people. I am not sure which I like the least, so I am going to attempt to create a poll, and allow you, the reader, to help me decide. The three categories are:
The hipster: tight jeans, ironic t-shirt, trying so hard to not be like everyone else that they all end up looking and acting like each other





The neo-hippy: The hippies had their day, back in the 60s and 70s. I would not begrudge them for what kind of filth that attempted to follow in thier footsteps, the same way I cannot begrudge The Grateful Dead for being the father of jam bands. After all, in the Grateful Dead's day, there was no such thing as a "jam band", and it is not their fault, if idiots compare shitty bands to them. The neo-hippies usually smell funny, and don't do much for society as a whole. Societal problems are often pointed out, plausable solutions never seem to follow them. I have been mistaken for a hippie, and even have friends that would fit in this category. However last night when I was at Live Earth and the aroma of herb and petchulli filled the hair, I asked my buddy, who plays in a pretty awesome Athens band, if he ever gets disgusted by the neo-hippies, and he said, "yea...sometimes."





The Yuppie: According to my cousin, Friday night, as I was getting a ride home from the bars, I was yelling, "WASPS" at anyone wearing a sports coat. I know I tend to bust yall's balls from time to time about dressing like old people, but at least yall don't dress like an old person...who just got out of a board meeting...on a Friday night at midnight. If you don't know what a yuppy looks like, go hang out at The Bohemian sometime.

No comments: