Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Thoughts on Cannon

I am not going to sit here and talk a lot about what happened with TC's firing or whatever it is being called. I have never been clear on the situation, so I don't think it is fair for me to pass judgment.

I have always been a supporter of BC and it's values. Synonymous with Benedictine is Coach Cannon. His methods may have not always been polite and pleasing to eyes and ears, but he cannot be accused of being half-hearted. He loved and respected BC. He wanted his Cadets to love and respect BC.

The man commanded respect. When a classroom felt nothing less than chaotic, complete silence fell over the room when Cannon entered. Yes, we will always wonder what was in that cup, but he never missed an opening to comment on a questionable move on someones part. He was exactly what I needed when my smartass years began. One foot straight to the ass, followed by that shit eating grin and a wink while I walked in A Wing. I knew exactly what he meant, and I was never a disruption in Senorita's class again.

As far as sports are concerned, I was never coached by him. I cannot say what type of teacher he was. From a spectator's view, he was in his element. I'm sure he kept practises and the classroom very interesting, in his own right. With Cannon leaving in the manner that he did, I am sad and disappointed. It makes me sad that with him gone, BC loses a part that makes it so special and now threatens to become just another private school in Savannah. He's a Savannah legend. No student should ever forget the stories that have been shared about CTC. Those stories are part of what makes Benedictine like no other. I will always shake his hand and call him Coach.

No comments: